The Great Movie Drought by Christian Steiner

Last year was a great year for movies! We had 12 Years a Slave, which is being implemented into public high-school systems because of its emotional power. Also, we had innovative sci-fi films like Gravity. In general, there were just awesome films.

Now that the year is over, dont expect a great movie for a while. It’s spring, which means all the films companies have no hope to rear their ugly heads. We have movies like The Legend of Hercules, in which 97% of the movie is in slow motion while the other 3% represents the amount of reviewers who actually liked it on Rotten Tomatoes (RT). Aaron Eckhart in I, Frankenstein fared only slightly better with a total of 4% on RT. Kevin Costner has only 3 Days to Kill off the rest of his social life after making such a horrid movie

Spring has almost nothing to offer besides the excellent Lego Movie. But fear not, we can all use this time to catch up on all the under-the-radar movies so many people missed. The Coen Brothers came out with a wildly underrated film, Inside Llewyn Davis, which deserves so much more than its accumulated $13.1 million dollar at the box-office.

 To give you an idea of the failure 2014 has been so far: we are almost 3 months into the New Year and 7 out of the top 20 movies in the box-office all came out in 2013. And Frozen is still in the top 10 even though it has already been released digitally worldwide!

So this spring, just curl up with a good book, watch some of the classics, and broaden your horizons. Maybe indulge yourself in some TV shows like the newly released second seasons of House of Cards or Bates Motel, or kick it old-school and watch some Hitchcock classics or Scorsese epics.

Avoid the theatres at all costs for now! The next big release isnt until April 4th when the new Captain America comes out, and then we wait for the huge slew of summer blockbuster movies and peace shall be restored!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s